Monday, August 13, 2007

Kori's Sermon


The first day of work, I chose to help volunteer with the kids from camp Ubuntu. Since I had never done anything similar to this, I wasn’t really sure what to expect, other than to play with a group of children from a different state that were less fortunate than me. I had feelings of trepidation yet I was also excited for I knew I was there helping in some
way doing God’s work. When I first got there, it seemed as if the younger kids clung to us like glue, but the older the kids got, the further they would stand from us. It was almost as if the older they were, the greater the feeling of hopelessness. It was then that I knew that I could not change the world entirely, but I could definitely make a small, yet significant difference. As the day went on, slowly they became more comfortable with us.
One little girl I became very attached with was a girl named O.

O, a girl of just eight years, lost her home to Katrina and had to survive in the Superdome with her family during the aftermath. Two months before the dreadful hurricane, her brother died in terrible car crash. Obviously scarred by these catastrophes, she showed no signs of emotional distress. She chose to live her life as best she could under the circumstances. She is a happy, vivacious girl who taught me how to roller
skate at the local roller skating rink. We became quite attached to O and the other kids. When we finally had to say goodbye to her, she cried and it was a sad but telling moment. I have a feeling that this was the first time she had done that in a long time and it was probably good that she was finally able to get her emotions out. She will be in my memories forever.

Other memorable moments include the time when we arrived at Tulane University and were paired into groups with five kids with two other youth volunteers. The kids were in swim practice, learning how to swim for the first time and getting over their obvious fear of water. This was due to past memories of being trapped on roof tops watching their very livelihoods float away. For some this seemed like no big deal, but for most, it took all of their courage to get in the water. With the help from us and the swim instructors, they slowly got comfortable enough to play in the water and grow in their water abilities and skills. For somebody like me, being on the swim team, this was remarkable to see and experience. I will never take this luxury for granted again.

There were so many moving and memorable experiences that it is hard to put into words and describe. Whether it was installing sheet rock, pulling out nails from banisters, priming and painting security bars, or planting a garden and grass for an elderly lady named Miss C, it was all hard work but extremely gratifying. Seeing the joy on the faces of those we helped was very spiritual and is something that will be ingrained in my thoughts for the rest of my life. Although we worked with people of varied backgrounds and some cases color, I feel like we were able to break down the walls of social and economic differences. Personally, I have a better appreciation for life and have made friendships that will last a lifetime.

I would like to say thank you to all the Mission Trip Supporters, families and friends of St. Paul’s and all who had us in thoughts and prayers. Thank you and thank God for this opportunity.

No comments: