Saturday, August 11, 2007

Sent


Thanks, God.

I arrived at St. Paul's,
barely ready to go.
What was i getting into?
Only God would know.

We reached Louisiana,
and its hot summer heat.
Where cool breezes and cold waters,
were always a treat.

As we began our work,
I started to see.
Why Jesus had sent us,
why he had sent me.

The damage of New Orleans,
truly opened my eyes.
All that pain and destruction,
that i had not realized.

I painted houses,
put in floors,
tore down walls,
and put up doors.

Amongst all the hurt,
i fell in love with their culture.
When food came around,
they would call me a vulture.

10 minutes 'till we leave,
it hurts my heart to say goodbye,
Why God created hurricanes,
i have no idea why.

Now i know why i came,
and why i left i'm not sure.
But when God closed that window,
He opened a door.

I know i'll come back,
to this city i love.
And continue my service,
to our God up above.

Sammy Forcum

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and poetry too!!
You all are a bewildering gift.