Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Life becomes real

Although I had wanted to go on this trip from the very beginning, I found myself homesick and wanting to go home on the first day. And then I started working. By working, I mean sweating buckets of water and swinging a crow bar until you feel like your arm is gonna fall off. I've never worked so hard in my life or sweated so much. I spent my day today gutting "double shotgun" house. A "double shotgun" means that it's a two-family home in one and the rooms just go one into the other. In this house, we learned that one of the sides had belonged to a family with four kids ages 6,9,15 and 16. The other side had belonged to the mother-in-law. It hit close to home that some of these kids were so close in age to me. Also hitting close to home was the football wallpaper and the room with pink and purple walls. Tearing down their walls was harder than i thought it would be, both physically and mentally.

I feel like I'm in second grade, telling all of you what I have learned so far but here it is: life here is real. There's no sugar coating anything around here. People don't have it easy and it's not fair. Katrina or the flooding didn't care who you were, where you came from or what you did- you were just in it's way. I've never realized-to this extent- how lucky I am and how easy my life is. I've been on mission trips before and even Mississippi last year couldn't compare to this year. The houses we were in last year were messed up and we saw New Orleans homes from the outside; it's entirely different being in them and demolishing the walls that once sheltered a family; kept them safe. That's when it becomes real.
(much love to all you back home.)

Carli Jessup

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although you have painted a very visual picture, I still have difficulty imagining EXACTLY what you are experiencing. As a parent, I had hoped that all of you "young adults" would gain a greater appreciation for what we all have here (and through your eyes and words, I have too... THANK YOU). We all can be more thankful and humbled by what all of you in New Orleans are experiencing. We love you all and will continue to keep you in our prayers. XOXOX

RevSylvia+ said...

This kind of hard work has a cleansing effect doesn't it? I am awed by your stamina and dedication-may God continue to strengthen you for the good work ahead. S+

Anonymous said...

Thank you Carli, for your open heart.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Y'all really did dive into it - literally and emotionally! We are so proud of all of you for being so intentional about being God's hands and loving presence. Thank you for taking the time, for opening your hearts and for taking on the risk of transformation. This is important work that you do! Many blessings! Love, Susan

Anonymous said...

Carli, you are an incredible young women!!! I am so moved by your experience. I have family outside of New Orleans and have heard first hand from them, but your verbal expression of your experience is enlightening. Keep up Gods work and may you all continue to share the blessings and strength through our Lord.......In His Love,
Cheryl Mc :^)

Anonymous said...

Carli, you are an amazing young woman. Suying and I both read your note and realized how hard you are working and what it means to you both physically and mentally. We're thinking about you and will say some prayers in thanks for what we have and what you've passed along to us with your experience. Peace and Blessings, swimmer mom, Gretchen